Many of you will think this is totally gross, I kind of do myself (when I stop and think about it). I'm still nursing my son, who is now 2 years old. Why? Because doctors advised me to nurse him for 2 years if we were't going to immunize him (which we have not). A few months ago I cut back on nursing a lot. We are down to bedtime and during the night. Yes, during the night, and I'm not sure how many times during the night because he sleeps with us and I'm half asleep when he nurses at night. Well last night when I put him to bed I said, "Maybe you could just go to sleep without nursing." Elijah looked at me with a smile on his face and asked, "Why?" with his handed turned open in a questioning manner. He was so darn cute, I hope to replay the scene tonight so Bill can get it on tape. Anyway, he agreed to nurse at bedtime but not during the night. Well, he forgot about that agreement. We had a night full of tears and sobbing when I repeatedly said, "No, now lay down and go back to sleep." So I guess he had been nursing a good bit during the night, seeing how many times he requested to last night. He is a smart boy, so I'm confident after a few nights he won't do this anymore and will sleep peacefully without a midnight, 2am, 4am etc... snack. He caught on pretty quickly when I stopped nursing him at nap time, now he doesn't even ask. The big question is, when will I cut him off altogether? Soon, maybe within a month. Then we will begin getting him off the pacifier (which he loves, loves, loves). My girls didn't take a pacifier, so his obsession with it took me off guard and now it has changed the shape of his teeth (or mouth, whichever). Maybe his permanent teeth will come in the right way, I'm sure a dentist will tell me the extent of the damage I have done allowing him his boggy (as he calls it). We will be spending a lot of time in the van traveling this summer and I couldn't imagine that time without his boggy.
I nursed Lexi 13 months. On the day she turned 13 months old I stopped cold turkey and there was no problem. When I see pictures of her at this age I always think, "I can't believe I was still nursing her!" Guess I will be doubly grossed out when I look back at Elijah's two year old pictures and wonder how in the world I did that.
As for me, I'm glad I nursed all of my babies. It wasn't because I thought what a special bonding time it would be, just because breast milk is best and goodness sakes it is so much easier to pop out a boob than prepare a bottle.
2 comments:
definitely easier to pull out your boob than prepare a bottle (especially when traveling).
i bet it was pretty cute with him asking why! i nursed jack for about 13 months (i gradually weaned him for the last month). not sure how long i will nurse sam. as with jack, my goal is to make it at least a year.
p.s. i don't think you are gross. you guys have had a pretty eventful year or so, and kids can feed off of that. i'm sure it would have been much more agonizing for both of you if you'd tried to limit him sooner. he clearly likes that comfort that only you can provide, which is a pretty special bond. hope it goes a little better with him tonight and each night thereafter.
I love that he asked, "Why?" So cute!!
I nursed both of mine for 18 months, and I am very happy that I did! I hope the transition goes smoothly for you and you all get some good rest. :)
Post a Comment