Monday, October 17, 2011

Our First Cattle Baron's Ball - 10-15-2011


So I ended up finding a few things in my closet to choose from for the Cattle Baron's Ball (CBB). I purchased this outfit from Sikes & Kohn's Country Mall in Pine Level, Alabama back in 2005. I wore one black cowboy boot I had from high school. Bill and I went shopping for his western shirt, he borrowed a pair of boots from a friend, and we stopped by Cavender's on the way to the ball to buy a western belt for him. The guy in Cavender's asked if we were headed to the CBB. He said there had been a lot of people in picking up last minute accessories. He said if you get to speak to Clint Black tell him, Mad Dog, said hi. He said he did sound for him back in the day.

At first, I was not looking forward to this event at all. That was before I knew that I was going to see Clint Black, Dierks Bentley and Darius Rucker all in the same evening. Each show was great. I was reminded that I was in the company of millionaires when I heard the bidding going on. A signed guitar and meeting with Clint Black went for $18,000. A signed guitar and on stage serenade by Darius went for $6,000. Many other items were auctioned during the evening with large price tags. One auction was to donate a painting to a local children's hospital, $25,000. I'm not of the same mind as the "Occupy Wall Street" group. I'm glad there are mega wealthy people in this country. I feel they are the job creators for this country. The thought of being around them just makes me uncomfortable. Bill and I put bids on several items in the silent auction. We won one of those. Tickets to Medieval Times. We also purchased a "buy it now" toy for Elijah. The CBB is the biggest fundraiser for the American Cancer Society in the country. Last year 3 million was raised for cancer research. This money stays in the state of Texas for research here.

I was most concerned with what I was going to wear. I shouldn't have been. Attire was all over the board. From jeans and plaid shirts to full sequin dresses (of course with boots). I wish I would have taken pictures of some of the outfits, but that is kind of tricky, taking pics of strangers. There were suede daisy dukes with fur wraps. Thigh high boots. A dress with the sides missing, held together with belts. A total rhinestone cowboy from the 70's. A few ladies must have gotten their lips filled with Botox earlier in the day because there's put Mick Jagger's to shame. If you like people watching the CBB is a good place to do just that.

The food was catered by Eddie Dean's. It was wonderful. Bill and I missed the cupcakes from Sprinkle's as we left the VIP concert with Clint Black, I think the girl in the thigh high boots took our attention away from where the cakes must have been displayed. Oh well. I haven't seen anyone in thigh  high boots since Julia Roberts wore them in Pretty Woman.

We also enjoyed a ferris wheel ride, the candy bar and the fireworks. Just a fun night for a good cause. Our admission this year was a gift from Bill's boss, whose wife had the huge job as chairwoman for the event. I enjoyed it so much I would buy tickets to go next year, if they aren't gifted to us.






Bill and I didn't like the first picture, so we asked for a retake. I was finishing a sentence in the first one. I guess the third time might have been the charm, but we didn't insist on another one. The guy said laugh so we would look more natural. When I laugh, my eyes close which is why I have to use my "picture taking smile". Que Sera Sera!

1 comment:

Garretts said...

looks like great fun...and looks like you managed to pull together a perfectly appropriate ensemble and from your own closet no less! way to go! glad you guys had a great night out!

Counter