Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Surgery Season

Now that I will be in bed for the next 3 days recovering from foot surgery, I can take time to blog. Yea!

Last November, I began having a lot of pain under my 2nd toe on my right foot. Besides the pain, it had turned into the big toe so much that is looked dislocated. The first foot doctor I visited thought it had been dislocated and put me in one of those bulky shoes for 6 weeks. When the shoe came off after 6 weeks the pain returned. This time the doctor thought I had a stress fracture on top of my foot. That didn't make any sense to me so I found an orthopedic surgeon.

The surgeon said that the bunion on my right foot was putting stress on the tendons and such connected to the 2nd toe. That seemed to make sense. I followed his orders for a few months, but the pain returned. I could no longer walk bare foot in the house because of the pain on the padded portion of my foot under that toe. In Feb of 2011 I got a shot in the joint of that toe, that was quiet painful. The pain stayed away until June. A weekend at Great Wolf Lodge which included going up and down the stairs playing their Magic Quest game reminded me that my foot was not 100%. All summer it seemed like the 2nd toe wanted to attach itself to my big toe. So I decided this needed to be fixed before it got worse. So this morning the doctor did what was needed to fracture the big toe bone and get it straight again. He also shaved a little off the 2nd toe bone so it will lay flat. And put in a small plate somewhere. Anyway, I will be taking it easy for the next several weeks and should be healed in the next 3 to 6 months.

I knew there would never be a good time to have this done, but settled on the fact that having finally met our health plan deductible was a perfect time, since we would not have to pay out of pocket for the procedure.

The doctor extracted some of my stem cells and inserted them in strategic areas to promote healing.

My sweet mom came to take care of me last month for a surgery I had then. Bill's mom is taking care of me this go around. It is so wonderful to have loving family and friends. Thank you Lord for the love you've given me that is visible through my family and friends.


1 comment:

Garretts said...

So sorry about your foot pain...and most of all that the recovery process is taking a lot longer than expected. i am glad that it means we might hear more from you on the blog!

hugs to everyone out in Texas!

Counter