Now that I live in Georgia, of course, you knew I would use that title at some point. Okay, It has been about 22 days since I last blogged. What can I say, except that my life went from being totally organized to total chaos. I've probably spent the past 20 minutes or so giving the blog a new look and sound. I love the fact that one can put music on a blog. I am a music lover. I always have loved music. I love finding songs that play to my life. Sadly, I can not hear the music I selected for my blog this evening. Reason being I have not put my finger on the power cord to my computer speakers. That really bums me out. Well, anyway, Chicken fried, mentions "being raised under a Georgia pine" and the other elements of that song fit this place so well. Fried Chicken is a staple in my home town of Troy as it is here. I love a pair of jeans that fit just right, (not into beer on a Friday night or any other night). However, I do love turning the radio up when I get the chance. Chicken fried is a feel good song and this is a feel good place. Rainy Night in Georgia, well we have had several of those in a row. Once the rain sets in here it just sits, and sits and sits. This time it started Wed. and is predicted to continue through Sunday. Hopefully this moisture will help this part of the country get out of the drought it has been in for a while now. It is kind of dreary, but it is cool seeing the fog on the mountains. And the last song, Let Them Be Little, just makes me sad thinking about how fast my little ones are growing up. Big Dave (Horton) and Stephanie had the girls over for a camp out in their living room before we left. They took pictures from that event and set them to the song, "Let them Be Little". It was so precious. Lexi is reading now (not everything, but some things). Belle is the best little helper you could ask for and Elijah will be walking soon. Dave would always say when we were all together at a Horton-Hillhouse event, "It will never be like this again." And I would always think, "Why is he saying that." Well now, I know he was enjoying the time we had together realizing that people, things, and circumstances change. I was just enjoying the moment for the moment. Age does bring wisdom. Now, seeing how much has changed in the 8 years since I first met the Horton's, I completely understand what Dave was saying and now find myself thinking it often. Anyway, enjoy the music for me if it is there and if you have time.
Now, on to something else. Overall, people in Texas were nice and friendly. But being in Dallas, people were also in a hurry, so that probably cut time out of their schedules for being nice. I'm talking about strangers, not friends, just people who you encounter when you are out and about. I have been completely blown away by the kindness of strangers here.
Here are some examples. Belle was crying when we headed to the check out counter at Lowe's yesterday. I had to correct her about getting too far away from me and she was sad. The lady at the check out quietly asked me if she could have gum. I told her that was fine. She offered Belle the gum, Belle gladly accepted. After a few seconds, Belle took the gum out (she didn't like it,I'm feeling awful at this point because of my daughter's manners). The nice lady just pulled out a different pack and gave her another piece. I'm thinking the person behind me must be furious that all of this is taking so much time. I look back and the man is just smiling away, not bothered at all.
At Wal-Mart on Tuesday, Linda was my checker. She has 4 children (she had 2 close together waited 5 years then had 2 more close together), 8 grandchildren and is from Jackson County. She asked me to come see her again sometime and to drive carefully. I don't think I ever had more than a two sentence conversation with a checker in Dallas. They were never rude just not that talkative. And I'm sure they were in more of a rush.
At Ingles (that is the name of our grocery store), one of the baggers was out getting a few carts in. He asked if I needed one, I told him if it was dry I would take it. It was. I had Elijah in my arms. He took his Boppy Seat from me helped me get in on the cart, all the while talking to the children. I was amazed at his kindness.
At the bank, you would have thought we were the Trump's with all the kindness that was lathered on us. I only knew the name of one person with our bank in Texas and that was because he helped us with a problem once and I thought I should remember his name. On our first day to open our account I met, Judy, Amanda, Carol, Jennifer and two other ladies whose names escape me now. They instructed us to call them if we ever needed anything and I could tell they were sincere.
Roger, the owner of the pest control company we hired, visited with me a while about his hobby in genealogy. He hugged and blessed us twice before he left.
My conclusion is that people here just take the time to go the extra mile with kindness. That makes being in a place where just about everyone is a stranger, feel like it could be a place to call home.
3 comments:
I am so happy you are finding such kindness there! We felt the exact same way coming to Dallas from Southern California. If you think Dallas people are in a rush, you would be blown away by So. Cal. I was raised there so I never knew any different, but once I was married and had a baby I realized that even my closest friends never called, never planned get-togethers, you never talked to the people you saw at church anywhere outside of church, and the check-out people at stores didn't even look you in the eye, much less bother with any sort of conversation. And the drivers there are crazy... cutting you off and speeding everywhere. Whew!
Anyway, we felt the same way you do when we moved to Dallas. Friends actually called, people we met a church would call and want to get together, and the check out people at all the stores were so friendly, even calling me "Ma'am!" So, it is hard for me to imagine a place even more friendly, but I love hearing about it from you. :)
Coming from experience, kindness really does make a place feel more like home faster.
I am so glad to hear happy notes from you! Makes my heart happy!
I'm glad ya'll are getting settled and that everyone is so nice.
How are the girls adjusting?
Post a Comment